JPEC has 3 laypersons in its committee – a lawyer, an accountant and a corporate figure. They provide essential views, which reflect those of potential subjects in clinical trials. The majority of members are doctors from various specialties, thus enriching the review expertise within the committee. An important strength of a joint committee like JPEC is that the majority of members are not affiliated to the authority under which JPEC is formed. This enables independent decision making. Only 3 out of 11 members is affiliated to the parent authorities.
Affiliation: Whether or not each individual (or a member of that person’s immediate family) is affiliated (other than as a JPEC member) with the entity operating the JPEC, i.e. Penang Medical College and Info Kinetics/ Clinical Research Centre, Penang.
The JPEC Secretariat is the administrative unit of JPEC and is responsible for the following duties:
- Giving advice and information regarding rules and regulation in ethical aspects through communication with the JPEC members to the investigator
- Communicate all decisions of JPEC to applicant
- In charge of compiling safety reports from clinical studies sponsors to Joint Penang Independent Ethics Committee (JPEC).
- In charge of in-coming and out-going correspondences
- Ensure quality requirements of GCP are met
- Organise JPEC meetings
Secretary (non-voting member):
Ms Caren Ching Yin Fong
Joint Penang Independent Ethics Committee
c/o Clinical Research Centre
5th Floor, Gleneagles Penang
1, Jalan Pangkor
10050 Penang, Malaysia
Tel: 04-2285760 (ext 163)